Sunday, May 23, 2010

I've Gone and Done It

I created a new IHIP. After 5 years of using the info from the worldbook site, I created an IHIP based on a more specific breakdown of what we will actually be using. I figured, since now we do use a curriculum that we love, the IHIP doesn't need to be so general. I would still recommend the general format to anyone who isn't sure what they may use or who just wants something easy that's in compliance. I'm just in the mood to try something new. It will be for 4th grade for W starting in September and is based on Ambleside Online Year 3 for 2010-2011. I've always kept an outline like this for my own records, along with a calendar listing what we actually accomplished each day. It won't be as easy to just copy and paste with this one, but it may give you ideas on how to create a more tailored outline for yourself. I've kept the overall format the same, but I'm listing specific books and programs from the AO3 curriculum. So in a sense, I did do a copy and paste - just from a different website. The outline for Health is kept from worldbook.com.  It is also still all on 1 page. I streamlined the methods/tools paragraph (at the end) to fit us better as well. From the beginning, I've always been firm on doing what's easy for me, as far as the homeschool correspondence. Matching up my own outlines and learning logs with what I send to the district is, in fact, easier.


I've left the general 4th-grade IHIP in the sidebar. I've added a general 8th-grade IHIP as well, since 7th & 8th grade reporting are a bit different than what's required for 1st-6th grades. I've added my new AO-based IHIP into the sidebar. The rest of the paperwork stays the same for now. I'm still sending the same quarterlies, annuals, and LOIs. The new AO-specific IHIP is still detailed enough to allow for the rest of the paperwork to be minimal - which is how I like it.

3 comments:

mom of 3 said...

question, i'm going to submit test scores for F's 4th grade annual eval.. not a narrative, so what exaclty do I say?

NYCitymomx3 said...

You know, I've always just sent my regular annual assessment and added a sentence at the bottom that J took so-and-so test on so-and-so date and scored above the 33rd percentile. You could probably just title a letter with "Annual Assessment" and either say the 33rd %ile thing or give the actual composite score. They asked me for a copy of J's results last year. You may want to just include that.

mom of 3 said...

ok thanks, yeah I was thinking I should just send the copy of his results... he scored way above the 33rd precentile :)

thanks