Tuesday, August 30, 2005

SAMPLE IHIP - 4TH GRADE

INDIVIDUAL HOME INSTRUCTION PLAN


NAME OF CHILD: ________________________
NYC Student ID: (optional)
ADDRESS: ________________________
DOB: (optional)
GRADE LEVEL: 4
TODAY'S DATE:_______________
SCHOOL YEAR: _______________

DATES FOR SUBMITTAL OF QUARTERLY REPORTS:
11/15/__, 1/30/__, 4/15/__, 6/30/__

_______will be using various methods/tools for 4th-grade instruction in all the subjects specified in Section 100.10 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education. The corresponding subtopics may include and are not limited to:

Arithmetic
Reading and writing numbers, Roman numerals to C, Prime numbers less than 100, Prime factoring, Numeration systems, Subsets, Decimal and fraction equivalents, Addition and subtraction, Facts to 7 places, Multiplication and division facts to 144, 1-, 2-, and 3-digit multiplication problems, 2- and 3-digit dividend, 1-digit divisor problems, Meaning of mixed numbers, Finding simple averages, Geometric concepts, Customary and metric measurement, Time to the second, Problem-solving methods, Charts and graphs

The English Language
(Reading, Writing, Spelling) Silent and oral reading, Choral reading, Listening skills, Telephone skills, Making and accepting simple social introductions, Summarizing simple information, Listening to literature, Critical reading, Short stories, chapter books, poetry, plays, Spelling, Increasing dictionary skills, Cursive handwriting, Simple outlining, Writing letters and informal notes, Written and oral book reports, Creative writing, Developing skills in locating information, Increasing indexing skills, Developing encyclopedia skills, Utilizing parts of a newspaper

Social Studies
(U.S. History, Geography) Types of community life, History and development of the local state, Relation of the state to its region, nation, and the world, World cultures, Reasons for our laws, Regions of the world, Continents, Time zones, Earth's resources, Climatic regions of the world, Map skills: longitude, latitude, scale, Using a globe

Science
Environment of the local region, Biological organization, Classification systems, The insect world, The reptilian world, Plants and animals of the past, Structure of plants, Seeds, Ecosystems, Balance of nature, Human body, Weather's influences, Weather instruments, Climate, Cause of seasons, Earth and its history, Oceans and the hydrosphere, Air and water pollution, Magnets and electricity, Light and color, Solar system and the universe, Living in space, Scientific method and scientific inquiry

Health/Safety
Personal and mental hygiene, Dental health, The body and its functions, Skeletal and muscular systems, Care and proper use of the body, Principles of digestion, Basic food groups, Good nutrition habits, Diseases, Safety, Substance abuse

Music/Visual Arts/Phys. Ed.
Wide exposure to all forms of music, Piano keyboard, Arts and crafts, Structured group dance lessons (tap, jazz, lyrical) 3+ hrs. per week, Free play indoors and outdoors


Instruction methods/tools may include and shall not be limited to: reference materials (atlas, dictionaries, globe, maps, encyclopedias, non-fiction books, videos, the internet), workbooks, worksheets, hands-on activities, experiments, projects, newspapers, magazines, frequent field trips, group activities, classic/contemporary literature, research, journal/narrative/essay/poetry writing, games, creative thinking, predicting/forecasting, gathering facts, written peer correspondence (pen pals), music CDs, CD ROMs, piano keyboard, abundant art supplies (clay, paint, crayons, pencils, sketchpads, felt, chalk, etc.), structured group dance classes and competitions, free play, conversations, and real life.

Primary instruction to ________ will be provided by _____________ and _______________, her parents. Supplemental instruction will be provided by others, as necessary.


____________________________
Parent’s Signature


(Subject info obtained from Typical Course of Study - Grade 4 from www.worldbook.com. FIND YOUR GRADE LEVEL HERE!  or if you like the old, simpler layout, as I do:  HERE

(More about NY paperwork)

.
.
.
.
.
.

26 comments:

Unknown said...

I am new to homeschooling and this has given me a clue as to how I supposed to do this. Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

This help alot I need to know that I was on the right track. NYS makes things sound so complicated

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! Trying to figure out all of the legalities of this has left me more than confused. At least I know THIS paperwork will be right!

Anonymous said...

This was a huge help! We really appreciate your taking the time to share this example as we are on our first year and weren't sure what to write.

Anonymous said...

I agree...I was struggling to complete my plan and I was not sure if I was not including enough details. I was overthinking and overanalzing and eventually became very overwhelmed. This was a godsend. Thanks!!!

New homeschool parent

Disgruntled NYer said...

thank u lord! do u know how hard it was to find a sample of this...i guess i can use this for an 8th grader as well? good job!

Anonymous said...

The information on the site is extremely informative and user friendly. Thanks for taking the time to put it together so nicely.

bamsi said...

This is a wonderful site for anyone. This is my first year homeschooling. I live in New York, not NYC, and without these samples for New York forms I would have been so lost. I love your daily info and it gives me some great ideas for my two girls. Thanks so much.

Organically Living said...

Thanks!! Great site with great samples!

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

TONIA said...

I HAVE BEEN SO STRESSED ABOUT HOW TO WRITE THIS IHIP. I THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS USEFUL INFORMATION. HUGS TO YOU

allyson hill said...

thank you so much for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this invaluable information with us. I do have one seemingly dumb question though. What are we supposed to put in the blank at the beginning of the first paragraph? The name of the person providing the instruction?
Thanks in advance,
Maria

NYCitymomx3 said...

Oh, LOL, I put the name of the child.

Cindy said...

You are truly God sent. Thank you so much for this information!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for posting this. If you read NYS Regulations it makes homeschooling look like a very daunting task when it comes to paperwork. Now that I have had a chance to look over your IHIP I feel that I am on the right track with him. Thank you again

Unknown said...

Any suggestions on how to modify this down to appropriate for 2nd grade? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Do you think this will still work for the 2016/17 school year? We are new to this and are worried. Thanks!!

Angela said...

Yes, it still works. I still use this format and the subject lists from worldbook. Here's a link to the original list (I find the new one a bit much): http://homeschooling.about.com/cs/learning/a/courseofstudy.htm

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting. Needing to submit my first quarterly report and found your site to be very helpful.

Kristen said...

Hello,

I'm trying to write my ihip for my soon to be first grader and I was looking on world book at the 1st grade typical course of study and it's so much longer than the examples that you have. Am I looking at the right thing....
https://www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study-for-grade-1.aspx

Thanks,
Kristen

Angela said...

Hi Kristen,

Worldbook revised their list a few years ago making it so difficult to use for NY IHIPs. Thankfully, there's a link to the old list. https://thehomeschooltree.com/1st-grade-typical-course-of-study/

I just added that in my blog sidebar.

Congrats on your decision to homeschool!

Angela

Kristen said...

Thank you so much Angela that makes things much easier for me. I found another site that had a sample ihip and it looks almost the same except that it has some things listed for phys ed, music,art. Let me know what you think when you have a chance.

http://www.freetailtherapy.com/york-individualized-home-instruction-plan-sample-grade/

Angela said...

Kristen, that 2013 IHIP was taken directly from this 2005 blog post - with the worldbook 1st grade list substituted for the 4th grade one. I created the first and final paragraphs myself. But I put it here for everyone to use, so feel free. Make sure you list all the subjects the regs require.

Angela

Kristen said...

I'm in WNY so I'll need to have those additional subjects on the ihip as well. One more question and I promise I'll stop bothering you. Is it required that a second language is taught? I was a little confused by how it's written in the regulations....bilingual education and/or English as a second language where the need is indicated.

I'm assuming that since it's not in your sample ihip that it's probably not required, but I just want to be sure. I wish this paperwork didn't have me so nervous! Your website by far has been the most helpful resource that I've come across and has been referenced in many of the other websites that I've been searching on. Thanks so much for all you do!

Anonymous said...

Dear Angela, your blog is great and so helpful! Thank you for posting all the amazing information about navigating the IHIPs and other forms. It is so much appreciated. I love the links you provide as well, e.g. to Coursera and DuoLingo and Nature Study Charlotte Mason style and the mention of Mater Amabilis. Thank you, thank you, thank you!