Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sample IHIP (AO Specific) 4th-grade

INDIVIDUAL HOME INSTRUCTION PLAN


NAME OF CHILD:   W
DOB: ______   GRADE LEVEL: 4   SCHOOL YEAR: 2010-2011

ADDRESS: _____________   DATE MAILED: ___________


QUARTERLY REPORTS WILL BE MAILED ON: 11/15/10, 1/30/11, 4/15/11, 6/30/11

W will be using various methods/tools for 4th-grade instruction in all the subjects specified in Sect. 100.10 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education. The corresponding subtopics may include and shall not be limited to:

ARITHMETIC
Teaching Textbooks 5 (Sabouri) & Life of Fred Fractions (Schmidt)

THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Writing, Phonics, Spelling, Grammar: Transcribe favorite lines from the Shakespeare play and scheduled poetry we are reading. Two perfectly written lines every week (in cursive). Written narration chosen from literature (1-2 per week, may be in cursive or manuscript). Draw a narration chosen from literature. Start Dictation, work up to one paragraph by end of year. Writing Strands 3 (Marks): two pgs weekly. Online typing tutorials. Simply Grammar (Andreola)
Poetry: William Blake, Sara Teasdale, Hilda Conkling, & Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. 1 or 2 poems per day, discussed and may be used as copywork.
Literature Read-Alouds and Independent Reads: Tales from Shakespeare (Lamb), American Tall Tales (Stoutenburg), The Heroes (Kingsley), The Princess & the Goblin (MacDonald), Children of the New Forest (Marryat), The Jungle Book (Kipling), A Little Princess (Burnett), The Water Babies (Kingsley), At the Back of the North Wind (MacDonald), Men of Iron (Pyle), Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland (Carroll), Through the Looking Glass (Carroll), The Bears of Blue River (Major), Swallows and Amazons (Ransome), Unknown to History: Captivity of Mary of Scotland (Yonge), Caddie Woodlawn (Brink), On the Banks of Plum Creek (Wilder), The Little White Horse (Goudge), The Saturdays (Enright), English Fairy Tales - and more (Jacobs), King of the Wind (Henry), The Four Story Mistake (Enright), Then There Were Five (Enright), The Wheel on the School (De Jong)
Foreign Language: Greek Alphabet, Sign Language

SOCIAL STUDIES
World & American History: Our Island Story (Marshall), This Country of Ours (Marshall), A Child’s History of the World (Hillyer). All history readings will be narrated. We will also correspond history readings with a timeline or century book and map.
Biographies: DaVinci (Landmark), Bard of Avon: the Story of William Shakespeare (Vennema & Stanley), Squanto (Ziner) or Landing of the Pilgrims (Daugherty)
Geography: A study of Marco Polo

SCIENCE
Natural History and Science: Handbook of Nature Study (Comstock), Secrets of the Woods (Long), Science Lab in a Supermarket (Friedhoffer), The Story of Inventions (McHugh) or All About Famous Inventors & Their Inventions (Pratt) or War Inventions (Gibson). We will do various science experiments and go on weekly nature walks, keeping a Nature Notebook. The Nature Study schedule is as follows: Summer/Fall Term - reptiles. Winter Term - flowerless plants/crops. Spring Term - fish and amphibians

HEALTH/SAFETY
Personal and mental hygiene, Dental health, The body and its functions, Skeletal and muscular systems, Care and proper use of the body, Principles of digestion, Basic food groups, Good nutrition habits, Diseases, Safety, Substance abuse

MUSIC/VISUAL ARTS
Art:  Picture Studies focusing on 1 artist per 12 wk. term and reading his life story from biographies found at the local library. . We will be studying: Term 1 - Albrecht Durer (Italian Renaissance). Term 2 - Caravaggio (Italian Baroque). Term 3 - not sure yet. Drawing from nature and narrating tales with drawings. Drawing with Children by Mona Brooks
Music Appreciation:  Listen to 1 composer (specifically) per term and reading his life story from biographies found at the local library. We will be studying: Term 1 - Beethoven (Classical/Romantic). Term 2 - Vivaldi (Baroque). Term 3 - Chopin (Romantic)

Instruction methods/tools may include and shall not be limited to: reference materials (atlas, dictionary, thesaurus, globe, maps, videos, the internet), hands-on activities, projects, newspapers, magazines, frequent field trips, group classes, activities, & workshops, research, games, creative thinking, predicting/forecasting, gathering facts, CD ROMs, abundant art/craft supplies (clay, paints, crayons, pencils, sketch pads, chalk, charcoal, pastels, animation software, building materials, etc.), free play, structured sports, conversations, and real life.

Primary instruction to W will be provided by ______________________, his parents. Supplemental instruction will be provided by others, as necessary.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I borrowed some of the wording from another AO mom's lesson plan.  I like the way she describes what they do.  You can find her blog post HERE.  And here's a few words about this specific AO-based IHIP.

10 comments:

Kristen Kill said...

Hello Angela!
I am not sure how else to contact you but through your comments, but I just about fell off my chair after reading this post. I am a HS mom of four and have used Ambleside Online since the beginning. My oldest will be in Year 4 next year AND we are moving to NYC in August!!! We currently live in WA state where the homeschool laws are much more flexible and I am so confused as to what is required in NY. Your blog is my current life-line and source of encouragement today. If you are game, could you please drop me an email and perhaps I can pick your brain about homeschool groups and resources in the city? I feel like we are getting a handle on everything in our move except this one component, which of course is all consuming and so very dear to us! Thank you so very much!
Best,
Kristen Kill
killfam@gmail.com
hopewithfeathers.squarespace.com

Unknown said...

Hi Angela,
Its really awesome to finally find someone that really knows a lot about all the regulations here in New York City. I'm currently living in Brooklyn and decided to home school my second grader. I am literally pulling my hairs on how and what to put on her IHIP form !!! I'm currently using the curriculum from a recognize and affordable website name Time4Learning. My question for you is, Do i have to put down details on what she will be learning this quarter or just the website im paying for her to have a curriculum? Please Help...LOL Thank You !!

Laura Herrera
missdiaz38@gmail.com

Angela said...

Hi Laura,

Congrats on your decision to homeschool! I emailed you my response.

Zuly said...

Hi Laura,
Thank you so much for this blog, it has been a lifesaver I'm currently in process to homeschool my 7-year-old son, I can't wait I'm so excited. I've learned a lot from your blog, like how to write a letter of intent, IHIP's ext. Thank you again.

Nycmommyof2 said...

Hi I'm currently new at homeschooling and I currently have a 1st grader. Can you recommend any curriculum and also on the ihip form do I have to specifically say what he is learning or just put down the website?

Angela said...

Nycmommyof2 - You can put either. On the IHIP I preferred a general/vague list of topics we MAY cover in each subject. I took mine from the Worldbook Typical Course of Study: https://www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study-for-grade-1.aspx. You can be more specific on your quarterlies if you'd like - I started getting a little more detailed in my quarterly reports once my son was almost high-school age. But that was more for me.

If you know you are using a specific curriculum, you can base your IHIP on that. Listing websites really limits you, imo.
.
I liked the Ambleside Online curriculum, which is Charlotte Mason-based. If I were to do it over again I'd try one called "Good & Beautiful".

Congratulations on your decision to homeschool! Have a fantastic year!

Jana Lis said...

Hello
I’m thinking of homeschooling my 4th grader. Is it possible to change from in school learning to homeschool during a school year ?

I’m very new to all of this and seems quite overwhelming!
Could you please direct me to where to start ? I would really appreciate it 🙏

Thank you

Jana

Angela said...

Hi Jana,

I started homeschooling in the middle of the school year, so YES it is absolutely possible. On a Tuesday I let the teacher know that Friday would J's last day there and that was it. We submitted our letter of intent to the district the following week. You owe them nothing - no phone calls, no meetings, nothing. You have every right to homeschool and you are letting them know as a courtesy. You don't even have to tell anybody anything until she's already out for good.

I would suggest deschooling for at least a month before jumping into any academic stuff. Follow her lead and do a lot of fun things together.

Congratulations on your decision to homeschool! Best of luck to you!

~Angela

Anonymous said...

I have a question. I’m not sure if anyone is still using this blog. But I’m homeschooling for the second year. And this year I really want to do a vague ihip first year I was so detailed and specific and felt really limited, the kids after school was over told me they really didn’t like time4learning so far they’re using miaprep for high school and mia academy for elementary and they really like it so far but just in case they end up not liking it or wanting something else I don’t want to be limited. Any ideas on a vague ihip for nyc?

Angela said...

Hi. When I wasn't sure of what I wanted to use or if I planned on using a variety of things, I just pulled a few lines from the Typical Course of Study for their grade level. Here's a good one from Worldbook: https://www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study.aspx . It's ok to not get to everything or even to do something completely different. In my IHIP I would say, "The corresponding subtopics may include and shall not be limited to:", which gives you the freedom to change things and teach what you want. I have other (more vague) IHIP examples linked in the sidebar. If you like, you can get specific in the quarterlies, but it's not required. Hope that helped!