Sunday, February 12, 2017

16 Months to Go

I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while.  Life is just going and going and all is well.  Most things that were happening last summer are still happening.

W is still taking drum lessons (and has an awesome electronic drum kit now), he's still playing the ukulele, and just got his sister's old guitar restrung and is teaching himself how to play that, too.  He's still going to Muay Thai several times a week and just trained with a pro from Thailand who is visiting the gym this month.

After experimenting with various career ideas, I think he's finally settled on sticking with something in the computer field.   I mean, it's something at which he's always been a natural and I truly believe a great career comes with doing what you love.  It's been true for my girls.  So, for the next year-and-a-half, W's plan is to cover the remainder of what is required according to the regs.  We have everything he needs for all the major subjects and he gets it all done on his own terms.  Since W turns 17 in March of 2018, that will be his final year of reporting to the city and also his final year of homeschooling.  That spring he will take his final CAT-E, that summer he will take the TASC, and that fall he will get ready to start his post-secondary education, which should hopefully be sometime in 2019.  He has a few ideas on where he wants to go but wants to research a little more before he makes a decision.  Having some sort of game plan really helps with organization.  He seems to have it all together and I can't be more proud and excited for him.

I am trying out the afternoon/evening shift at my job so I can get more done in the mornings.  With the early shift, I'm so dead tired in the evenings and just feel like hitting the pillow when I get home at 7:15pm.  This trial has been great because I wake up around 8:30 and start the day.  I'm so wide awake and have the time to have 2 cups of coffee, eat breakfast, clean, exercise, and sing at the funerals at my church a few times a month.  My favorite thing, though, is having more time to get schoolwork done with W.  He gets most stuff done on his own now, but still prefers some help and guidance from me.  :)  .   I feel way more productive at work later in the day, too.  I leave just before noon and get home by 10.  I love it.  I hope I get the ok to keep this new schedule permanently.

My girls are still doing what they do.  K is back in Queens working in a posh, appointment-only salon.  She and the owner run the place together and do weddings and other parties on the weekends. K also just bought her first car - a beautiful, 2015, white, fully-loaded Jeep Cherokee.  It's awesome.  J has been teaching dance at a couple of studios and going on auditions here and there.  They are both happy and love what they do.

3 comments:

Heshani said...

I love your blog. I have included your adventure in food in our home schooling and we have been exploring different food from different ethnic food places and have been enjoying it. I even made videos about it on YouTube. You can see if you like, my channel is Eternalove andgratitude

I like reading your blog, it motivates me. Thank you for giving me some great ideas to implement in my homeschooling.

Take care,
Heshani

Unknown said...

Hello Angela,

I just came across your wonderful blog; I am just about to start homeschooling in NYC and I can much from your blog.

In writing the letter of intent, if we begin homeschooling this March 2017 and our daughter is in 1st grade, can we have our school year as running from March 2017 to March 2018 for first grade? Or does it have to run as a regular academic year?

Thank you
Rose

Angela said...

Hi Rose. If you are sending your LOI in March 2017, then the school year (1st grade) will still finish on June 30 2017. The official school year is from July 1 to June 30. On your LOI, just mention that from September 2016 to February 2017 (daughter's name) had 1st-grade instruction at (school name & address) and will be homeschooling for the remainder of the 2016-2017 school year. Make sure you send an IHIP of what you plan on covering over the next several months, 2 quarterly reports (on April 15 and June 30), and a brief narrative annual assessment on June 30 as well. Over the summer you'll send another LOI - this time for 2nd grade. Then another IHIP, and so on.

Hope that helps! Thanks for visiting my blog. Feel free to use the sample paperwork and tweak as needed. ~Angela