Sunday, November 20, 2005

My mind has been racing with homeschooling thoughts again. In reading Guerilla Learning I am relaxing a bit more about K's middle school life and planning awesome outings for us all. We watched a show lastnight on a NYC PBS station called "$9.99". It's a regular series about doing stuff all day in NYC for less than $10. This particular episode was devoted to kids and I got so inspired by it. I never knew there was so many free and inexpensive things to do here. I found out that the Queens County Farm (10 min. from me) is the largest and oldest working farm in the city (47 acres). Belvedere Castle in Central Park has a whole nature adventure pack for kids that is free. Brooklyn has the Kensington Stables which dates back to the 19th century. And they happened to mention that NYC is one of the most kid-friendly cities in the country. But I knew that already.

We're going to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on Thursday morning. Mom hooked us up with a spot in a Columbus Circle restaurant with a huge 4th floor window we can watch out of. I haven't been to the parade since I was a kid. My uncle would always take us and we'd go down the night before, too, to watch the balloons being filled. We're spending Thanksgiving Day at my mom's house. It's K's birthday that day, too, so it's going to be extra special.

I decided to start venturing out on the weekends. I have been a staunch weekend-activity-avoider because I hate crowds and weekends are full of crowds everywhere. But several people told me that it's not bad at all and usually all the fun stuff happens on the weekend. So, I caved in. And besides, this way the whole family can go places together. I'd like to start next weekend by visiting the Sony Wonder Technology Lab. I saw it on the show lastnight and it looks fantastic.

So, basically, our homeschooling adventure is going to include lots more outings. And as soon as I get my digital camera fixed I'll be posting pictures again. I'm really feeling organized and together lately. J is feeling good with her schedule and we are making a better effort to immerse ourselves into NYC's arts, culture, and fun. This is the kind of education I would have loved to have as a child. I'm glad I get to experience it all now with my kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wahhhh, can I repeat how much I miss NY? But on the upswing, my husband who told me he never wanted to go back even if we won the lottery said okay, if we win the lottery, we can go back. ROFL!

Man, I haven't been to the parade in AGES. I was almost in the parade in 96 or 97--I was a Christmas elf at Macy's. But I didn't want to wake up to get downtown by 5AM and it was freezing that year--seems even if NY has a warm break, Thanksgiving is always cold, so I was happy I skipped it. LOL! I love Manhattan during this season except 34th street. It's pretty, but 34th street is crowded enough year round, and during the holidays it's worse. Nice to watch the parade all warm though. We always got off at 49th Street to watch.

Where is that farm? I looked on the site, and I asked my sister. We used to live in Fresh Meadows--after we moved from Astoria--and my sister said it was close to us then.

NYCitymomx3 said...

I would love to be a Christmas elf in the parade! It's 40 degrees today, cold, and windy. Typical Thanksgiving! But at least we can watch the parade from indoors.

The farm is off of Little Neck Parkway in Floral Park. http://www.queensfarm.org/