Sunday, July 19, 2009

Back to Life, Back to Reality

After the week away, we have our week of relaxing, lol. Well, the kids never seem to relax. W is still going to the playground every day. He hangs with friends, rides his bike, and plays basketball. We got a little bit of academics done this week. Both of us want to finish the Year 1 schedule before September so we can start Year 2. The rest of the summer will be just the readings/narrations, some foreign language, artist and composer study, and timeline stuff - just because W thinks it's fun. Oh and probably math, too. He can't keep away from math. It all still remains child-led and relaxed - he wouldn't have it any other way. His newest thing is grabbing a book, finding a comfy spot, and reading! He's enjoying The Magic Treehouse series and Diary of a Wimpy Kid now. Cool beans!

K is back at work. She still loves it and takes it very seriously. She's never late and always stays late to help clean. She's saving most of her money - for a car. I'm incredibly proud of her diligence - and generosity! She's so happy to buy things for her siblings. It's nice that she has the means now to indulge her own high standards of taste, lol. Mani-pedis, designer bags, clothes, shoes, etc. All of a sudden she's being more cautious, more selective, and has more self-control. It's amazing what your own money does for you, lol.

J has had nonstop hang-out requests since she's been home. She was at one friend's house all day Monday swimming in her pool. Wednesday she was with another friend at the park and her house. Friday she and another friend slept over another girl's house and went to Splish Splash (water park) the next day. Today she's at my mom's house in Long Island, meeting up with another friend who will be coming over there to spend the day. Tuesday and Thursday J had summer dance intensive classes and I strongly suggested staying home and relaxing during the day so she could be well-rested. Next week Wednesday will be included too - this is another dance intensive, plus the new studio performance tap team she's on. She and W will be doing something new during the day starting the first week of August. I'm not going to say what it is yet since I'm not sure about the details - but it's an incredibly opportunity...

Work is going very well for me. I'm now 100% sales - no more collections or retention, which I've been doing for the last 3 years. It was scary to make such a big change, but now that I've got the hang of it, it's really FUN. Let's hope it stays that way, lol.

I received a call the other morning from a "summer-help" person at the Office of Homeschooling. She asked if I would please send in a copy of J's CAT results. This is new. I usually just write a line on the annual stating she took the test and scored above the 33rd %ile. So, I'm sending in a copy. Thankfully, the Seton folks emailed me a PDF and I can make as many copies as I like. Well, all things considered, the state is pretty good at leaving us alone - this isn't a big deal. Soon I'll mail in the IHIPs and Metrocard forms.

2 comments:

mom of 3 said...

God, your kids are soo unsocialized... lol

hey F likes Magic tree house and has read all the Wimpy kid books already.. he's waiting for the 4th one in October :)..

hope to see you guys soon....

NYCitymomx3 said...

Yeah we gotta get together. Let's just pick a day, head into the city, and go somewhere. Have you gone to the Sony Lab since it's been redone? I'd love to go there again.