Tuesday, September 15, 2009

SHREK THE MUSICAL!


J went to see Shrek the Musical tonight on Broadway. Her friend Bec's family got 4 tickets and J was lucky enough to be invited. I dropped her off at the dance studio at 4pm. She's back assistant teaching her 7-9 y/o class. Bec's family picked her up there at 5pm and drove into Manhattan for the show. This was J's very first Broadway show. She's gone to shows at Radio City, but it's not the same. B, K, and I have seen a lot of Broadway shows (back in the good ol' days when B used to get comp tix) and I'm so grateful that J finally got to go too. She said it was truly amazing. Sutton Foster played Fiona and has now become one of J's favorite people, lol. I am going to try to start making Broadway theater (and all theater) more a part of our lives.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say J is one lucky girl to have friends that take her away for weekends, concerts, splish splash, broadway, sleepovers - I am tired trying to keep with her!! I am lucky my son has a great group of friends also but, sometimes we have to say no because it can get pretty costly.

NYCitymomx3 said...

I know. I can barely keep up, lol. Although we do reciprocate with some things, I have to say she really does hang with an active bunch. I love that she gets to experience all these things. So much for the socialization argument.

Anonymous said...

Like you I have more then one and it is sometimes hard to reciprocate - again it can get costly to include a friend in a family activity. What are some ways you reciprocate that aren't too costly. I don't want the friends parents to think my kid hangs around with theirs for the "perks" LOL

NYCitymomx3 said...

We do sleepovers, we'll take someone with us to a concert or sports event (J danced at a few so we didn't have to pay), or when B got free tix to things through his job, we would bring someone (theme parks, concerts, etc). We'll also bring the kids' friends to the movies with us or out to eat. I have free membership to over a dozen museums in NYC, so they'll sometimes invite someone when we go. Most things we do don't involve spending so much (usually).

Anonymous said...

WOW how cool is that she danced at sporting events??!! She must be one really talented kid.

Vanessa said...

That's awesome! I saw my very first Broadway show when I was seven (it was The King and I, with Yul Brynner and Constance Towers), and I still remember it vividly thirty years later. I'll bet J will always remember this show the same way.