Thursday, October 19, 2006

We went over our homeschooling friends' house today. The idea was to initiate some writing and grammar stuff by having them work in a group. They each did a "story starter" page, played Scrabble, and had fun with a printout on double-meaning words. Then the rest of the time was spent having lunch, playing some Gamecube, and jumping on the trampoline. My kids had a great time. I love that this family is so free and positive and wonderful to be around. We left at 3:30 to get J to dance by 4:30, pick up B, and drive me to work. J worked on a new musical theater group number with her team. Tomorrow is another homeschool event!

I am very happy to know that we can email our homeschooling coordinator all our paperwork from now on. That alone saves about $5 every couple of months. I emailed a bunch of stuff yesterday and already got a confirmation email saying she received it and will process it. I can save these confirmation emails for my records! I'm still not 100% thrilled with our new coordinator. A phone conversation revealed she is very much in favor of heavy regulations and "keeping tabs on our kids". Oh please. NY is one of the 2 heaviest regulated states. Parents are way more capable than we get credit for. Schools are failing all over the place and homeschooled kids are coming out on top. And schools sure aren't healthy emotionally or socially. Raising children to be successful, productive adults is the most important goal for most parents. Homeschooling seals that deal for me. I have no doubts whatsoever.

No comments: