Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The really fantastic thing about homeschooling is that you can tailor it to each child. I still consider myself an unchooling parent even though J and K have requested more structure. For them, Charlotte Mason activities such as copywork, readalouds with narrations, and individual subject study (history time line, nature walks/sketches, artists, and composers) has been really great. They look forward to it and immerse themselves into doing their best.

W, on the other hand, has given it a fair shot, but seems to prefer solely learning through living. He isn't into any assigned written work, but does enjoy most the other CM activities and will voluntarily participate. He likes the readalouds, the nature stuff, and even likes to narrate back what he remembers. And I think that's fine. As an unschooler I am all about being the facilitator for my kids - not a demanding overseer, forcing them to work work work. As long as the girls are having fun with this, I'm there to see that they have what they need and be their "tour-guide" throughout the methods and activities. W can join in if and when he pleases and I have no doubt that he will learn plenty regardless. He's a fiercely independent kid with his own timetable. He cannot think I expect anything from him because he will purposely not deliver. He will not perform unless it's his idea. But when he gets it in his head to do something, he puts his all into it and leaves everyone reeling. I just love everything about that kid.

No comments: