Friday, January 04, 2008

Yesterday J spent about 15 minutes reading in her room while W read 2 Dick and Jane stories to me. He also likes Hi! Fly Guy by Tedd Arnold (one of our new favorite authors!) and reads it well. I'm shocked at how quickly his reading picked up over the last few months. He then did a few pages in Writing Words while J sat on the couch with a Spanish workbook. She's choosing to start the days with reading and then pick from her long, typed list of activities, instead of automatically doing writing and math directly afterward. W is following suit - starting off the day reading to me and then doing some sort of workbook activity alongside J. It's all about what they're in the mood for. It doesn't matter to me. I can tell you they sure are never bored! As a matter of fact, I can't even remember the last time I heard them say that.

Today J went to a private sewing class (postponed from last week due to her stomach virus). She got to have a fabulous one-on-one lesson on the ins and outs of her own sewing machine. They suggested we bring hers since that's the one she'll mainly be using. They said she'd also make a tote bag. She picked out a really cute pink patterned cotton fabric. After an hour, W and I picked her up and she was beaming from ear to ear, SO proud of the bag she made, and she couldn't wait to show me how the sewing machine worked. She loved it so much that she wants to take the weekly 2-hour classes. It's for kids up to 14 y/o and they make cool stuff like pajama pants, pillows, and holiday crafts.

But not this month. Dance competition season is upon us and J's first one is in a month. Her usual 10 hours of dance each week is increasing to about 13. Her old solo costume still fits great, her new one is almost finished, and her 5 group costumes are still being made. Then we dive into stoning hell. Hundreds of Swarovski Crystal glue-backed rhinestones are painstakingly applied, one at a time on each costume. We moms usually hang out together with a few drinks and have stoning parties. So, January is crunch time. It's so exciting! The first comp is everyone's favorite.

1 comment:

chessiakelley said...

Ah! I love this post! It reminds me so much of my own childhood and its bliss. Nothing better than discovering books for the first time, experimenting with creativity (I loved sewing), or making your mom spend hours and hours for a performance costume (it was figure skating with my 2 sisters for my poor mum). Being that you are so involved with your children, and that they are very proactive, you probably have a long list of childrens books that you are eager to share with them, but I thought I would recommend some of my favorites, as I am always passing them around to friends, but never thought of the internet as a viable medium. 1.) A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute...your 14 yr. old daughter will love it...LOVE. I have passed it on more than I can tell, and everyone does. (you should read it too!) 2.) Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner is great for 7-10 yr. olds and never fails to make you cry (just like Where the Red Fern Grows, tear) and 3.) Brambly Hedge by Jill Barklem for the littler ones. I think its the best illustrations in children books ever (all original watercolors). Anyway, just a few treats that were instrumental in developing my love of books. Happy tales, as I can guess you are probably an avid reader yourself.

While I am sharing my likes and loves, I thought I would tell you about the New York Kids Club because I have been working with them recently. They have lots of innovative programs for kids 6 months to 12 yrs. old like cooking/rock climging/martial arts/music making/ect. ect. ect. in 4 nyc locations. I thought their semester style programs might fit well into your schedules. I really enjoyed your post, and believe me, your children will keep on thanking you for your beeding and reading efforts well into their 20s and 30s (I know I am still thanking my mom).