Thursday, February 11, 2010

Excitement and Worry

Wow. Such a crazy week here. I've been doing as much research as I can on J's new school and the more I read, the more impressed I am. There are so many articles and amazing youtube videos. J is really happy, but was a little unsure since none of her friends made it in. It's scary when it's just you. Then the other day she found out that one of her best friends from 3rd grade (that she still keeps in touch with) will be going there for dance, too. Both girls are just giddy happy.

So, now that we know where she will be going, it's time to buckle down harder on J's homeschool work. Even though this is a performing arts school, the academics are very rigorous. J has done very well on her standardized tests and must have done well on the writing sample she had to do for the school. So, I'm not too worried about the academics there. I guess I'm just worried about the newness of the experience. Going to school every day in Manhattan, spending 3-4 classes every weekday morning on dance, I do worry a bit about the pressure. J is extrememly resilient and nothing really negatively affects her, so I'm sure she'll be fine. I still worry, though.

Other than that, this week was filled with lots of snow, lots of friends, a 24-hour flu for me, and J's first dance competition of the season. Her studio did very well - J's small group number (6 kids total) won overall best choreography of the day. Next comp is in a month.

Hopefully this will be a nice, quiet weekend. :)

No comments: