Friday, July 28, 2006

We took a ride out to a shopping area and spent considerable time in Barnes and Noble book store. All the kids picked out a magazine. W wanted a Captain Underpants book, and since J likes those books, too, I suggested they choose one together and J can read it to W. They both thought that was a great idea (I figured they can both enjoy it together that way). I found cheap workbooks - thick 1st and 6th grade ones. W wants to "do workbook" almost every day, so I think he deserves a fresh new one, lol. J found a "pre-algebra" workbook (that was only $2.75!). K was browsing the teen section, but ultimately just wanted the magazine and nothing else. She's in the middle of 2 books now anyway. I used my B&N educator's discount card and saved about $12! Woohoo!

J started reading the Captain Underpants book to W in the restaurant where we had lunch and then some more in the car. They all read their magazines at home (J-14, Bop, and Nickelodeon, respectively. I get these for them once every 6 months or so. I'm not crazy about them, but they do tend to read many of the stories and keep the posters).

When I got home from work, J brought over the pre-algebra book and asked me to do some with her. She ended up doing 3 pages/over 30 problems on "powers and exponents", "order of operatons", and "evaluating algebraic expressions". I like the way the book is set up. It makes it easy to transfer what J does in the learning log I keep for her. I always have a hard time breaking her activities down into subjects. There's so much overlap. I don't really have to keep the log, but NY is so weird sometimes with the regulations. I send them no detail at all throughout the year - just a course-of-study in the IHIP. But I know other districts expect more. I worry if one of those strict superintendents gets transferred to my district and gives us a hard time. You never know. I also like having the log for my own personal reflection on our year. I love that feeling of amazement looking back at all the things J accomplished all year through unschooling. And it helps having something to show curious (or negative) family and friends.

K joined us in the pre-algebra book, excited to show us the way she learned it in school. I can honestly say that this little sit-down pre-algebra activity was a blast. The kids treat what I consider the schooly educational academic stuff the same as an arts and crafts project, or a board game, or digging in the garden. If its interesting and fun we want to spend lots of time on it! What an awesome way to live.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm from District 30 (Queens). How would you know if you are from a strict district. I thought all info just went through the Homeschool Office in Manhattan.

NYCitymomx3 said...

This post was back in 2006 when homeschooling in NYC was broken into districts (regions, actually). Now (2011) we do have just the one Central Office of Homeschooling. The rest of the state still has their own specific districts - and they tend to vary in strictness.