Wednesday, March 22, 2006

It was a pretty quiet day today. J did a few pages of "4th grade in Review" and created a new website through a different host (I think that's what it's called, lol). W and I found a new reading/phonics website that he just zipped right through. One part focused on sight words like "the", "my", "this", "where", "all", and "what". I didn't know he was that good at picking out what was what. We read a few stories and he kept his Heely's on all morning until preschool at 12:20. Preschool allows the kids to bring whatever toy they want every day for show-and-tell. I hate that they allow that. He gets very upset every day if he can't find anything to bring (he brought almost everything he owns already).

I dropped J off at dance, then brought W to baseball. W is one of the 4 "good hitters" on the team. While one kids was batting, the rest were catching grounders thrown to them by one of the dads. It was so cold and windy , though, that we left after about an hour. K got her progress report from school. Her grades are hovering around average - which isn't going to get her into a good high school, and she has some missing homeworks in few classes. Her homeroom teacher called me to 1) find out if K showed me the progress report and 2) to tell me how chatty she is in school. I spoke to K about it later, reminding her that she promised she'd play the game of school by the rules. I have to say that over the past month or so she's been doing a lot more homework at home. And for the past week she's been showing me all her assignments. She always said she did her homework in school - ergo had nothing to show me. I would still rather K be homeschooled. She's been way overly concerned with friends, boys, clothes, and the upcoming Pajama Day and Spring Fling dance. This would be fine if it wasn't at the expense of her grades. But, I think K will be alright. She has a good head on her shoulders, is very smart when she wants to be, and is a pretty good judge of character. I'm proud of her.

Link of the day:
http://www.alumni.ubc.ca/files/pdf/trek/issues/03winter/8homeschooling.pdf

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geez, I'm so behind. Time flies when you're planning a vacation. Hopefully I'll be hanging around until the 2nd--but there's so much to do.

Onto K. I dunno, it would seem as if her social life (being that age and school doing nothing for mine except a few good friends--like 2--I strictly got from school) would do much better out of school. Man, if I were her I'd jump at the opportunity. But ah well. From what you've written about her before re: college maybe she wants to stay in school (amongst other things) is the independence of it--being on your own even having to "play school" Dunno. But She sounds like a great girl despite school. ROFL--that sounds terrible, I hope you catch my drift, I can't figure how to word it better.