Saturday, January 29, 2005

J had dance again today. I called one of the dance moms to ask a question about what to bring and she said her dd told her about J being homeschooled. (J's obviously very excited about this and is telling everyone). I was sort of dreading having to explain why (I always seem to make it so long and complicated), but she just said her hat was off to me and that she's sure I know what's best for J. I'd count her as another supportive person. It's strange, homeschooling families are very few and far between in NYC (I have yet to meet another one!) and folks here usually have strong opinions. I am so surprised that every reaction I've received so far has been positive.

Anyway, at dance they spent most of the time fixing up their costumes for next month's competitions. It's going to be great, I can't wait! After that I dropped off J at home and K and I went out together. I want to make an effort to get some more one-on-one time with her. She's very cool to hang with and we always have fun when we're out together. I am doing mystery shopping this week and with K's help knocked out 6 stores today. We ended the night at the huge Barnes and Noble bookstore at their Starbucks cafe with decaf lattes and brownies. I bought "Homeschooling for Dummies" and "The Ultimate Book of Homeschooling Ideas" for me, and some books for the kids. I love bookstores.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I noticed your post at another website and followed the link here. I just wanted to point you in the direction of the NYC homeschool support group I bleonged to when I homeschooled in NYC about five years ago. We have since moved out of the city, but this is such a great group, and you keep mentioning about no other homeschoolers in NYC, that I wanted to be sure you found this group. There are TONS of homeschooler sin NYC, you just need to know where to look:-)

Try this link: http://www.nychea.com/

NYCitymomx3 said...

Thanks! I have their website bookmarked but the group didn't look too active. I'll check it out again.