Friday, July 22, 2005

About a month ago J wrote an essay for her dance studio to win a year of free tuition. I loved that idea since she hadn't done much writing since she left school in February. She was really excited about it. I left it all up to her and she took on the responsibility herself and wrote a 280 word essay. She let me read it when she was done and I thought that it looked like just the stuff she wrote in school that was graded poorly and "proved" J's constant lack of focus. The people who judged the essays were colleagues of one of the dance teacher's husband (a group of doctors, actually). They did not know anything about the kids, so were totally impartial. Well, she didn't win the full scholarship, but she DID win the only other prize - which was a money gift in honor of one of the dance teacher's late mother. My sweet, poor, misunderstood J won $50 for an essay she wrote about something she loves. She received recognition, money, and a beautiful certificate. On the side of the certificate it read, "Encourage Every Child's Individuality". I looked at that quote about 100 times and cried each time. I should write that on my walls in bright pink paint. I need to raise my children with this quote at the forefront of my thoughts. I feel ashamed for doubting J and believing the teachers who told me she was not so great at this or that. I am so proud of her for proving me and a lot of other people wrong. 'sniff

K is reading a lot. She likes those geared towards the "12 and up" crowd now. I think her current book is titled "Bras and Broomsticks". She has decided her friend KC from the play is her new best friend. I really hope she stays in touch with her and the other new friends she's made this summer. She just needs to have a life outside of school. W is on a measuring kick. He loves the big tape measure and tries to figure out the amount of inches everything is. He asked about the numbers and I showed him how every time you count to 12, you end up with another foot. I was thinking of buying him a kids tape measure, but realized it's probably more fun with a real one.

Other than that, life is still chock-full of Annie and dance. We went out to my mom's house this afternoon to borrow luggage and do more shopping - and swim in the pool. We are leaving for Orlando soon and I think we are finally ready. All of J's costumes, props, makeup, shoes, and accessories are being driven down, so I don't have to worry about them being too cumbersome as a carry-on or getting lost. I stoned all her team gear and threw them in the costume bag as well. I confirmed our hotel reservations - the whole dance company (3 teams) is on the same floor! So cool! I have a huge master list of everything we need to pack, I am relaxing a lot more about this trip. I am finally getting so excited about it.

No comments: