Monday, July 04, 2005

Lots of fun in the sun this weekend! We went out to mom's and met everyone on the beach yesterday. My sister, G, was there with her 2 kids, and mom, and dad. The tide was very low and you could walk out to a sandbar. It looked like you could walk on water. All the kids played in the sand and found pretty rocks and shells. I took lots of pictures! Here are some:


W in the sand


J heading for the water


J ready to fill her pail


K is looking for shells


J is ready to build a sandcastle


Clam shell


Mussel shell


K found "Indian rocks"


You wet them and rub them together...


and it makes "war-paint"...


K's "Indian rock" body art

It was so nice to be on the beach again. My family and I summered in Long Island every year since I was born - up until 3 years ago. Our beach bungalow was 15 minutes from the Hamptons. I have always loved the ocean and the LI Sound. Today was a gorgeous day as well. B and I took the kids fishing with the new fishing poles. We tried casting from the shoreline and from the dock, but we caught nothing but little brown crabs. It was fun - the kids didn't care as long as they could reel something in! We also saw a lot of different birds today. Here are more pix!


W fishing from the shore


He was a pro with his new fishing pole!


J fishing off the dock


K fishing off the dock


This is one of the crabs we caught - We ended up catching about 27! Of course we threw them back after we counted them all.


A family of swans came by to say "hello"!


A seagull and another shorebird (snowy egret??)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to post to you a long time, but I haven't b/c you make me homesick! ROFL! I am from NY, but my husband, our three kids and I are in TN--NY got too expensive for us. I like it down here, but I am so homesick, and my oldest--she's a bit older than W-- 5 1/2 said she misses NY and we left soon after she turned 3. I too am from Queens--grew up in Astoria, lived in Fresh Meadows before getting married and moving to Brighton Beach and then Staten Island. Thanks for your blog--we also unschool. I had no idea there was a way to do it with all the regulations in NY. I just wanted to let you know I read everyday and I thank you for your blog.

NYCitymomx3 said...

LOL, Patrice! I was born in and grew up in Astoria, too! I've moved to another part of the city since then, but Astoria is definitely where my heart is! Where'd you go to school? (Geez, isn't that an ironic question.) We used to live by Astoria Park, then futher up on Astoria Blvd and 36th Street, then over by 33rd St. and 34th Avenue. We left Astoria when I was about 12. I still drive by there a lot. Thanks so much for your comment!

Anonymous said...

Well since my Grandparents lived in LIC (Ravenswood Projects) and they watched my sister and I, we went to school over there. So my sister and I went to 112, 111 and 204--and then to get out of the neighborhood, my sister and I decided to go to Forest Hills HS. LOL! The off to Queensboro CC and finally Hunter. LOL! 1 Manhattan school in the whole bunch. ROFL about the school. I thought about my life and I think my sister was suited for school and I would have been better off un/homeschooled. I unschooled my short lived career. I wonder why I went to College. LOL!

I loved Astoria Park. We didn't live that far up though. We lived in Astoria Projects, and spent alot of time on Steinway back when the movie theatre and Play World were there. LOL! Ah the days. I miss it. Not the projects though, just the whole area and the vibe.