Thursday, October 27, 2005

I just got J's 1st quarterly report all done and ready to mail. I don't need to mail it until the end of November, but I like getting it out of the way. It took all of 5 minutes. All I did was change the dates. The basic info stays the same - she covered all the required subjects, she is performing at a satisfactory level, she exceeded the number of hours, and had no absences, yadda, yadda, yadda. They don't care anyway. But, I still keep a great learning log if they ever hound me for specifics. You never know. It's an MS Word document organized by 10 week quarters and required subjects. I like it. It keeps me sane.

Today was pretty much like yesterday except we didn't go to the playground: J skated, read, did workbook pages, went to dance class. Oh and we did a science experiment today! J skimmed through the Weather section of her book and landed on an experiment to make rain in a jar. And it actually worked. J is liking the structure so far. Well, it looks like structure, but she is the one choosing what to do out of my suggestions and when to begin and end. So maybe we're not fully unschooling right now, but are just relaxed and child-led. I gotta get over myself with these labels.

K's dance is tomorrow night. She wants me to buy her some more clothes to go with her costume. She surprised me with a 90 on a math quiz today. She is still preoccupied with boys, clothes, and friends, but I think maybe she's starting to understand where her main priorities should lie. We'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the idea of homeschooling for K is putting the "fear of God" in her?

NYCitymomx3 said...

LOL, it's probably true! She knows I'll pull her out if I really feel the need. I don't mess around.