Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Rain Rain Rain. I can't believe that it has rained for days. J spent the day relaxing, watching some tv, and using the computer. I did, too, actually. Days like this make you not want to do anything. W came out of school with someone else's sweater and K left her sweatshirt in one of her classrooms. I didn't feel in the mood for that today.

I was reading a gifted message board (don't know why I still read those) and one mom told how she was amazed at her 5 year old's ability to figure out this math problem: "Suzy went to the store and bought 5 dogs, and then Joe went to the store and bought 2 more dogs but one ran away. How many total dogs were there?". I decide to present this to W. He immediately came up with "6". I then tried it again with different numbers and he got that right. too. Then I made up my own simple addition and subtraction word problem questions and he got almost all of them right. I had absolutely no idea he could do this. He wanted more and more of this game so we "played" it for 20 more minutes. I love how math is so fun for him. If I made him sit for math lessons he definitely would not have been interested in it. It was spontaneous, fun, and there were no demands or expectations. THIS is how kids retain a love of learning.

J had technique class today. W fell asleep and I got to sit in the car and read the whole time. Ahhhhhhhh. I love that. When he woke up, class was over and we went in to get the girls. I saw J's solo instructor who said she starts rehearsals on Friday! Yay! She'll be dancing to some song by Rupee, I think. This is going to work out great because we made J's rehearsal during W's school hours. I need to give my full attention to this. I'm so excited for her!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Learning is always more fun when it doesn't feel like a chore. I tell you school wouldn't be so bad if they figured out alternative means of education--although I like Homeschooling better (tee hee)

BTW, about the rain, I told my mother and sister ala schoolhouse rock: 40 days and nights my friends, didn't it rain children... They are so sick of it too.

NYCitymomx3 said...

You are so right.

And this rain should stop today!