Monday, August 22, 2005

The kids and I went to a homeschooling get-together today in Flushing Meadow Park. I met my friend, T, with her 2 kids, and 2 other moms with kids. We had a little meeting regarding our "new and improved" group and then went to the zoo, petting zoo, and carousel. J was thrilled to hang out with her best friend, G, and there was even another 11 y/o girl, H, for K to make friends with, but H was really shy or something because she kind of kept to herself. I loved meeting the other moms who both congratulated me on my h/s decision and told me there will be lots more get-togethers and activities in the near future. I know we're having a "Not-Back-To-School" picnic in September, and a couple of museums and science centers for the fall.

I started a new learning log for J. I want to get back into practice writing one. I still need that reassurance that J *is* actually learning. I'm sure one day I won't feel I need to write things down, but I right now I prefer to. Here's what I wrote for yesterday (includes my breakdown of the NYS required subjects so I can keep track of what she "needs"):

_________________________
J’s 2005-2006 Learning Log

8/21/05

1. ARITHMETIC --- Learned and played card game (Spit)= hand/eye coordination, patterns, counting, order
2. ARITHMETIC --- Started keeping her own calendar; Wrote in many upcoming events
3. U.S. HISTORY, GEOGRAPHY --- Watched documentary on terrorism; included Iraq, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Egypt, and Pakistan.
4. READING --- Read the beginning of: Anne Elizabeth’s Diary – The Diary of a Young Artist (Anne Elizabeth Rector)
5. READING, SPELLING, WRITING, VISUAL ARTS --- Created new personal website (3rd one!) with links, text, and pictures
________________________

And this is really a "do-nothing" kind of day. She loves academic-type things to do, but not when her siblings are home. I think she needs uninterrupted time to really persue her interests the way she wants. Well, that will come soon enough. K and W start school on September 8th. I can't believe summer is over already.

I am happy to say that I got the entire rug ripped out along with all the old linoleum, staples, and those nailed down pieces of wood lined with (very sharp) carpet tacks. I took the bunkbeds down, transferring headboards and footboards. I swiffered up all the dust and dirt, cleared out a ton of clutter, and moved the dresser, tv, and bookcase to different locations. I love it, they love it, and now K wants to move back in there with J. LOL! My mom wants to buy the kids new bedding, curtains, area rugs, and cute knick-knacks for their rooms. Cool.

2 comments:

Patrice said...

I'm so glad you got it done. Sounds like it was a big pain. The carpeting in our apartment--I can't wait til we move next year--is lifted in some spots and I have stepped on those staples--youch!

Ah, memories. I remember riding the carousel with my sister and playing Spit. Spit seems so NY--and War too. ROFL! Sounds like it was a nice group. I can't wait to get more involved in groups down here as soon as I finally get my license. Ugh.

Liz said...

Do you ever run into any 12-and-up homeschooled boys? I'm thinking of homeschooling mine (he is miserable in middle school), but the group activities seem to be for younger kids (?)