Monday, September 19, 2005

After playing on the piano this morning, J went to the bookcase (newly moved to a more visible area) and selected a 4th-grade Phonics workbook to do. She sharpened a pencil, went into her bedroom, turned on classical music and did 5 pages (J swears classical music helps her think). She called out to me once and said, "Ma, are you sure this is 4th grade? It's seems really easy.". I told her she's only on the first pages and it should get harder toward the middle. LOL. She thought of doing all the answers in cursive - which I thought was great since she hasn't practiced in a while (well except for some handwriting workbook the other day). Her cursive writing is so pretty and neat. She did forget how to make "f"s and "x"s, so she asked me to show her.

W brought me his workbook to do with him, too. Whenever he sees J doing one, he has to do one, too. We did number matching and A, B, and C pages with stickers. B came back to pick them up after his appt, and they all went to Michael's to get all the sewing stuff. He did a good job of getting everything on the list (ok, so he called me 4 times with questions, lol). At home, J organized everything (needles, embroidery thread, felt, buttons, googly eyes, and pins) into her Caboodles box. She mentioned wanting to do the sewing with me. I figure tomorrow we'll learn together - she'll read me the directions, I'll demonstrate, and she can take it from there.

We're still waiting for Ms. X to call us about the opening for W's class. He is choosing to stay home until then. (You know, I never used to be the kind of person who believed a 4 y/o really understands what's "right" for himself. I am wondering if this time last year I would have sent him crying and screaming like those other kids - God I hope I wouldn't have done that. But now, with this school issue I know there was something about that school that truly bothered him. I have to go with my instincts on this one. And since I've been unschooling, I have so much more trust in the kids and I know he'll be alright no matter what).

J was asked to sing at a cabaret show in October. She froze right up when I asked her about it and she said she won't do it. I know she sings very well and I know that her confidence will soar if she does this show, so I was thinking of ways to convince her to do it. Finally, I just asked K to sing at the show instead. K has no confidence issues and sprang right up with a loud YES and then of course J changed her mind. ROFL. They'll be representing the dance studio and promoting the new musical theater class. (K would have been asked too, if the studio owner knew she could sing). Now to find the right songs...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darnit, I thought I replied to this the other day--doh! LOL! I think it's cool that you are learning from your unschooling journey. I mean we can't really unschool our kids can we? We can label it, but it gets done. Although at the same time we are unschooling ourselves aren't we? I wonder if that made any sense? ROFL!

BTW, cool about the cabaret. I was shy about performing things where I would be showcased--easier to be part of a group--when I was younger.