Thursday, September 08, 2005

Two of the kids started school today. J has proudly announced to everyone who has been asking that she's homeschooled - and a LOT of people have been asking. K was very excited to start school. She wore a camouflage miniskirt (has shorts attached), black uptowns (sneakers) with ankle socks, black tank-top, and cropped denim jacket. I wish I had half of her fashion sense. She's good - and still tasteful. She said she had a good day. 7th grade is going to be tough and she knows that. She has 8 different teachers and already got math homework. They gave her an elective she did not pick (orchestra - which I think is a good one since she's taken that for 2 years already, but she hates it), so I have to write a note to get it changed. She sat with her old friends at lunchtime and was happy to see them. None of them are in her class this year, but she is starting to make new friends. I pray she has a good year.

W started school at 12:45. At 7am he started asking if it's time to go. J and I brought him over, and he was eager to get into the building. I was disappointed that it wasn't the room I saw in the spring with all the animals in it. So we go up to the room and all the parents sit outside (we had to stay in case there was a separation issue). Only about 5 kids out of 16 showed up the first day (WTF?). There are 2 big playground areas outside that they will use frequently. They provide the snacks, which is great - I don't have to scrounge around the house for something to pack for him. They give fruit, graham crackers, juice, and stuff like that. Everything else was ok, I guess. He didn't like it, said the teachers were weird, and said he didn't want to go back. By the evening, I found out that the teachers were "weird" because they had the kids clean up. (LOL). I think he also doesn't like the sing-songy way they talk to the kids. He decided he DID actually want to try it again. If he still doesn't like it by next week, I'm taking him out altogether.

So about 4 people yesterday asked J where she goes to school. I am so proud of her that she finally has the confidence to say it like it is rather than get that "deer-in-the-headlights" look she used to get. The responses have all been positive but you can tell they are a bit take aback by the idea of homeschooling. J told me she doesn't miss school at all and loves being home with me. She didn't get much time to herself yesterday but did manage to create several new songs on the piano keyboard, so some artwork, take an online history quiz, and help me straighten up the apartment.

So, it was my birthday today. The kids fought a lot, the apartment is better, but still messy, and I have this whole preschool thing weighing heavily on me. In the evening, B was home (he took off from working the US Open)! He took all the kids out to pick up a nice Italian dinner and K's school supplies. We ate dinner as a family for the first time in weeks and it was so nice. They surprised me with a birthday cake with 2 tealight candles on it (dh forgot birthday candles, ROFL). My gift was an old necklace he got fixed for me - of my 3 kids' birthstones each set in a charm. I love it. My birthday horoscope today said to stop trying to live up to everyone else's expectations and just be yourself. Yeah. I think I'll save that one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, we had lemon cake in honor of your birthday! LOL! I don't blame you with W. But the plus is he is young enough now that he shouldn't have the problems J had before you took her out. Here's hoping the right decision comes your way.

BTW, I think something is in the air. I was feeling very off, very weird--or rather have been lately. Hmmm, weird vibe lately.

NYCitymomx3 said...

Yay! I love lemon cake! I don't think W will have any school problems. I'm so in tune to them now, that I think I'd see it coming.

I wonder if this funk I'm in is just the whole "turning 36" thing. And the fact that summer's over (even though I love autumn), and the kids started school. Who knows? I do feel better today, though and plan on getting back into a routine.

Thanks for the birthday cake and the well wishes!

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope not! I hit 36 next year. But I find I get into weird moods sometimes and the best I can figure is although my family life is great and how I'd like it to be, the other parts of my life are not there yet. I'm still in an apartment, things still get tight financially sometimes (which I shouldn't be annoyed about b/c it used to be things can't get paid--so this is a step up) and there are things I thought I would know or have or have done by now that I haven't. It's weird typing the number for my age--I've only been this age since August 4th--since I feel alot younger and it's just so weird. uh oh, getting deep. LOL!

Woo hoo, the lemon cake was great, glad you like that kind too.

Things will always be off an on. Life is weird that way. Right now I'm struggling with the idea of to have or to not have more kids since I've had 3 c-sections, only one planned one. Ugh. Did you have an I'm fine but it's weird to be done period after W?

NYCitymomx3 said...

I also had 3 c-sections and by then my uterus was so weakened that my doc even said it's risky to have more. I went into labor at 7 months with J and 6 months with W (both successfully stopped and lots of bedrest), so the decision is made for me.

I feel the finality now, as I've never had a child get past age 3 without being pregant or having a newborn. I see babies and thankfully the longing only lasts less than a minute, and then I get kinda happy I don't have to start all over again. I'm in a good place now. All my kids are old enough to not have to constantly be on top of them and we are getting to the point where we can go to places that don't have Elmo on the walls.

I'm done and I'm perfect with 3 kids. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks! It's good to know it gets better. My youngest is almost 20 months and I've had a baby in Dec 99, Jan 02, and Jan 04 (on the same date) so it's really weird right now. :)