Tuesday, September 06, 2005

This morning K had an eye doctor appointment. 2 years ago I had promised she would get contact lenses the summer before 7th grade. Boy, did THAT arrive fast! We got there at 10:30am and she was "trained" and fitted for 30 minutes, examined, and told what to do. I kinda thought that she may be too young for them, but the eye doc said his 12yr old just got them too. I also asked the doc about J's sudden blinking "problem". She started this a couple of weeks ago and I was getting concerned. He said a lot of kids do that and even his own son did it for a while at that age. He also asked if J was smart. I told him a little about her and he said smart kids tend to do it a lot because they are just thinking all the time and a lot goes on in their mind. He said to just ignore it and it will go away (she is scheduled for an eye exam next month to rule out any actual problems).

We stayed in that area, got McDonald's, and shopped for a few hours after that. K wanted yet MORE back-to-school clothes but there wasn't anything she liked. I got J and W some socks and underwear and a few other small things before my feet started to hurt and I was ready to head home. We did stop at the library first - I had about $40 to pay off in fines . I thought J might like to select some nice read-alouds, but she and W were too interested in playing with a little toddler who was running around the place. Much to my glee, K ended up picking out about 4 folk tales for me to read aloud this week. She also found a "For Dummies" book on learning HTML. She is so excited about learning that.

It's funny. I expected J to be more interested in things like her sister is. K is so creative and very, very self-motivated. She would make a fantastic unschooler (LOL). J is that way, too, but on a much more subtle scale. I'm curious to see what's in store for this year.

At home, J checked her blog, K checked her website, and W played online games. Then K chatted on the phone to several friends and J put on her new dance outfit and danced all over the house. Then we all sat down together and watched "The Snow Queen" on HBO Family. Then J went inside to play with her Little House paper dolls and watched "School of Rock" (one of her faves) with K and W. All the kids played on the piano keyboard for a bit and we ate a quick dinner. K made pineapple-banana smoothies for everyone. YUM. The rest of the night will consist of my reading a couple of the folk tales to them and hopefully getting to bed early. They all are seeing the dentist in the morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVE the Snow Queen. I wonder if it was the one I really liked, did the pictures look Russian and was the music great? :)

J sounds similar to me. When I was a kid, I was very smart.--I think after 3 kids I lost some brain cells--ROFL, but that's being a mom, right? When I got to JHS, I short circuited--maybe J is going through this earlier, I actually had a great time in elementary. I just wanted to be normal. Since I went to school, I stopped doing homework and just sorta underacheived even though I was in SP. I made it through and skipped the grade, but in HS, I became a C student and the only things I devoured were things I was really interested in. I never read Cather in the Rye and faked my way through tests, but picked up Midinight Cowboy and read it in one day. And sometimes when you think too much, it's like having too much to do and not doing anything like you described in your so much to do in NYC entry. She's still so young, she's got alot of figuring out to do. She seems so far ahead of the game already, maybe she's just waiting to catch up to her knowledge?