Friday, September 16, 2005

W stayed home again today. He kept saying he would rather go to "the big school". So I called the big school and was told to come by around 11am and speak to Ms. X. We went in and she said there were 3 openings in the afternoon session. Then she asked J where she went to school (this is getting ridiculous). I said she was homeschooled (not feeling cheeky today) and OH MY GOD the amount of questions this woman asked was insane. She wanted to know everything from standardized testing, to curriculum, to "but she neeeeeeeds to know certain math skills". She was too much of a schoolteacher to have the ability to think anything positive of homeschooling. And she even had the balls to say "oh, so she just doesn't want to be around other kids". AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH! As politely as I could, I answered her questions and said her social life is actually better now thankyouverymuch.

Where's the damn bean dip when you need it?

So W was happy with the classroom, the teacher, and the sufficient amount of toys he saw. Ms. X. and I shook hands and she said she'll call me within a week so he could be enrolled. She *is* nice - letting J and W play with the toys and even giving W a high-five. In a way, I think she was genuinely curious about what we do and how we do it. Every question she threw at me got a great response, I think. I may have opened her eyes to something new. See? I can be an optimist when I want to!

When we got home, I notice W had a fever and he promptly fell asleep for a couple of hours. I'm sure he got it from his cousin at the beach last Sunday. J and I took advantage of the quiet-time and read some "Anne of Green Gables" together, and she did a few pages in a map/atlas workbook. I happened to be looking at "curriculums" and happened upon Oak Meadow. I was just curious to see what the appeal was. I showed J the 4th grade sample pages. Already I could see she was way beyond the math. She went down the line saying the answers to all the problems aloud. The other subjects' activities were things she'd also already learned, but some of the activities looked like fun. I wouldn't spend almost $500 on it, though. I definitely prefer unschooling to any overly structured forced lesson learning curriculum. She then checked her blog and played the Neopets game online. After that, she played some songs on the piano keyboard (she made up her own version of the bridal march, lol). Soon we're going to start our own fun projects and activities. I have several books to look through for ideas. Later, we picked up K and went to see one of the high schools for her that I have in mind. It was raining and we couldn't see much, but it's in a good part of town and is small with only about 400 kids. I'm still researching, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you checking out the big school. Hopefully he likes it better. People like asking about school alot. Sometimes it's cool, sometimes not, and a teacher would have different kinds of questions I would think--but I'd chock that up as a total learning experience for both the teacher and you. You were able to give her information and she learned from it. :)

Anonymous said...

My son went to a preschool like that and loved pretending he was a 1st grader each day when we dropped him off. He was a hoot! Best of luck with the new school.
Oh and I read you blog almost everday and ONE day soon, I will actually register and get a user name.
Anyway..I agree with you on OakMeadow. Friend got it for her son and wasn't impressed with it. She said it was exactly the type of thing she would think up herself but structured in a way where she felt pressure to do things in order.
Anyway..good luck!
J