Wednesday, September 28, 2005

J and W played together most of the morning. She made him his own Neopets and helps him play the games to earn points. They both are trying hard to keep their "new" room clean, so both made their beds and arranged their stuffed animals around the pillows. We headed off the to the children's clothing store to pick up W's school uniform. NYC has instated an optional uniform policy a few years ago and W's school decided to require them. It's very similar to a Catholic school uniform and I have to say W looks great in it. It's just a white polo or dress shirt, and navy blue pants, tie, and socks. He was very proud of himself this morning for "looking like Daddy" and stood at the mirror for a long time. He even gelled his hair up to look even cooler, lol.

He went off to school no problem and I was sort of hoping J and I would maybe read together or do a fun project at home. She decided to dress and re-dress her dolls instead. After that, she was playing with the parakeet - trying to teach him some tricks and having a great time watching him run after her on the floor (it was pretty funny, actually). He's a cool bird. It seemed like overnight he changed from this timid little thing to being happiest *on* one of us all the time. We got him as a baby in June and he's really become one of the family very quickly.

We hit the playground again after picking up W from school. I brought a change of clothes but he insisted on wearing the uniform in the playground like the other kids do. He found some friends and they were playing with sticks, and I noticed they were really being extra careful not to hit each other directly with them (but they'd "swordfight" a bit). then W pretended his was a gun and went around "shooting" the other kids. Where the hell did he learn THAT? Anyhoo, we walked down the block to the bodega and bought some bottles of water and some snacks and went to pick up K.

J had dance again today at 4:45 and we got there a bit early to buy some more water and stuff. Today was the company technique class and it was filled with new kids who will be auditioning for the competition team. This Saturday will be a full day of workshops with 3 1-hour intense intermediate-to-advanced classes taught by 3 of the top instructors in the country (who also direct various regional comptitions). The kids today were told they had to prepare a 15 second routine to perform in front of judges as part of their audition to join or stay in the company. They also have to write out the answers to 2 questions regarding their intentions and ideas about being on the dance team. I asked J if she was nervous about Saturday and she just looked at me like I was crazy. She can't wait to get started!

At home, K started her homework and for the first time I have no idea how to help her with math. They are doing surface area, volume, and dimensions of plane and 3-dimensional figures and I am stumped. I failed 7th grade math :( . I think I'll google it and try to learn it myself so I can maybe help her in the morning. J is always interested in what K is learning and then wants to learn it too. I'll see if she feels like it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOh, I like the idea of uniforms. How my mother wanted me to go to Catholic school for the uniforms and other reasons. I was picked on unmercilessly in JHS for my clothes--hopefully by that age they will have them in more schools--that's the hardest time.

I hate math. I took Algebra from 9th grade til 12 grade (terrible, huh) and the only reason I think the teacher passed me is b/c she felt sorry for me b/c I was a senior. LOL! I never passed the Regents--do they still have those?