Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I guess people feel the need to ask kids about school because they assume it is the one thing all kids have in common. I made a follow-up dental appointment for J and requested next week at 1pm or 2pm. He asked if that's when she got out of school because it was so early. I was ready to say "she's homeschooled", but felt a bit cheeky, so I answered, "Well, she's in an autodidactic interest-based program". Heh heh.

J and I went to the supermarket together today and not-surprisingly found lots of math there. Cereal was buy 1 get 1 free, and 1 box was $4.49. She rounded it to $4.50 and figured half of 4 was 2, and half of 50 was 25 - $2.25 per box. She did the same with cake mix (2 for $2.09), and cucumbers (4 for $1.29). She had her own $2 and was carefully and silently scrutinizing everything she wanted - is it a good deal?, can I afford 2 of them?, is it something I really really want? She made a game out of the trip and enjoyed the alone-time with me.

J and K had fillings put in at the dentist this afternoon. K went first and was out quickly. J was scared to death and we all went in with her. I like this dentist as he explains everything he's doing and is very funny and calming - and gives out cool goody bags. J was great, except didn't like her face being numb - later on she bit her tongue really hard and it bled. She has to go back next week for the other side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, they don't do a whole mouth anymore? (Bad me, it's been a while since I've been to the dentist) When I was a kid, we got all our fillings at one visit. Without novocaine b/c my Mother didn't like it--thank goodness it never hurt to us, but hubby would never allow that for our kids.

I like that expression: autodidactic interest-based program--I may have to steal it. hahaha