Monday, September 26, 2005

This morning I finished some more organizing which included tossing out tons of old toys, shoes, clothes, and books. W started his new preschool today which is thankfully only 2 blocks away. I was nervous for him since he didn't like the original one he went to at the beginning of the month. I walked him inside and he immediately ran over to some kids while I chatted with the teacher. When I picked him up he was very happy about his day and excited to return tomorrow. While he was there, J and I organized her room a little more. She then played "Hannah and the Pirate Caves" (Neopets) on the computer and we had lunch. After picking up W, we went to the large playground behind the school. There were at least 100 kids there and I was pleased to see and hear lots of politeness going on. After 45 minutes we went to pick up K from school a few blocks away.

At home, the kids washed up, has something to eat and we went to the Musical Theater class. They're preparing a big "Wicked" number for the spring, which my girls absolutely LOVE. The instructors wanted W to try it as well. He got all shy and goofy, but went in. He lasted about 30 minutes before he'd has enough, lol. The girls really liked it. It's a new class that's going to be full of singing, dancing, and acting. The studio director is planning a fundraiser (to help pay for competition entry fees) and asked if B's band would like to play at the bar it's going to be held in. I thought that was cool of her to ask.

I finally bought the DVD of last year's dance recital so the kids and I watched that tonight all snuggled on the couch. B is out out band rehearsal (next gig is 9/30). W fell asleep on me about 8pm and the girls dozed off around 10. I'll probably be up late again since I enjoy this quiet time of night to read and play on the computer *g*. I was talking to SIL today and talked about the kids and got on the homeschooling subject. She (like MIL) doesn't get the whole h/s concept and "would NEVER do that sort of thing", but understands why I feel it's a good thing for J. Speaking of MIL, I called her to tell her about W's first day at the new school, and she threw in how it would probably be great for J as well. (can I scream now?). I went over again with her how I stand behind my decision and know in my heart this is right for J and how well she is doing and how happy she is. MIL said she is set in her old ways and just can't get comfortable with the idea. What-freakin-everrrr. I need to stop these conversations short with a good one-line response from now on. Something like, "She's happy, I'm happy, she's doing fantastic academically, socially, and emotionally and I plan on keeping it that way until J tells me she wants otherwise (*insert 'DAMN IT!' here when necessary*)".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Sometimes it's good to become an expert at changing the conversation. I tell you I think I would have boiled. My sister who I am very close to and I talk every week. Last week the subject of homeschooling came up and she said (of my oldest since she is the only one of "school age") "Well she has to go to school some time, doesn't she?" And I just said "Why?" She seemed so annoyed with me. But my sister is a month older than you--hee,hee--and has no kids--she might have--or might not have a change of heart if she had kids and was faced with finding the right education path for them. Just like your MIL--maybe if her kids were school aged now, she'd understand more--heck, if school (even though it had it's moments) was more like when I went, I would have no problem with Elementary school for sure. The other ones, I dunno--JHS was a PITA--but we had the best class trips. ROFL! HS sucked but I made a friend who is still my friend, so cool. Oops, got off my main track--did I mention I was a Leo? hahaha

Unknown said...

Interestingly, my "hold-out" on home schooling stopping nagging me, not when they saw how well rounded and helpful and good at problem solving my oldest was turing out to be, but when neighbors moved in next door who home schooled. Somehow, seeing someone out of the family do it and do it well just changed everything. She even asked me to help this lady w/ local contacts since she was new to the area. I hope you find a way to politely but firmly turn off that nagging when it starts. It's hard to deal with, especially w/o hurting realtionships.